Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Action Research in the Making

My Reflection
After this last weeks assignment, I realized how much a principal was in charge of; I knew it was a lot, but when you look at it as what everything one would try to improve, it is so much. I think my favorite part of the assignment was watching the videos, especially Dr. Kirk Lewis' (may be it's because he is my superintendent).  He mentioned making research practical and applicable to your specific campus or district, how it would be easier and more interested to you as the researcher. When I was trying to come up with the research plan, I was not thinking about if the plan that would most interest me, I was thinking about how could I make the best change or improvement, which should be inconsideration too of course, but making sure the research interests me would probably affect the quality of the my research. However, I do still want to continue with the action research idea I have.

My Action Research IDEA
 My action research idea so far, if you could please leave advice or comment for it, is to introduce an "active" online resource page for my student, who are mainly economically disadvantage student. The reason why I want to do this project, even when it is obviously a great idea since I am sure many teachers do this today, is because a lot of teachers are reluctant to use their websites as a tool for their instruction for our students since not many of them do not have internet access. My "active" online resource page would include weekly or daily updates of worksheets and demo videos for students and parents to be able to access at home. I am hoping students who do not have computers or access to the internet would use the computer labs which are open certain days after school, or at least give them more incentive to.

My Control Groups
Although I did not think I needed a control group and a experimental group, my mentor recommended that I do. It was hard deciding what should be my control, since I have 3 Algebra I classes and 3 Algebra I - Inclusion classes. So after talking our campus Statistics teacher, I decided I will pick two of each type of classes to be my experimental group and the other one of each will be my control. I will be able to compare data several difference ways, according to my friendly stats teacher.


1 comment: